The Home Energy Saving Scheme provides insulation grants to certain homeowners to improve the energy efficiency of their home. Landlords and owners of more than one rolex replica uk property can also apply for a grant under the scheme. The scheme is administered by the Sustainable Energy Authority of Ireland (SEAI).


Types of Work Covered

Under the Home Energy Saving Scheme, you can get a grant for the following energy saving work:

  • Roof insulation
  • Wall insulation - for example, cavity wall, internal dry lining or external insulation
  • Installation of a high efficiency boiler (more than 90% efficiency) including a heating controls upgrade
  • Heating controls upgrade
  • Building Energy Rating (BER) after the energy saving work is carried out.

Which Type is Best for My Home?

You can use the Home Energy FAQ to identify areas in your home which could be improved to increase your energy efficiency.


You can also get a Building replica watches sale Energy Rating (BER) done in advance of any works. A BER assessor will energy rate your home and provide you with an advisory report, which will help identify areas that could be improved to increase your energy efficiency.



You must have grant approval replica watches sale before you buy materials or start any grant-funded energy saving work. If you have already started work, you will not be eligible for a grant.

However, a before BER can be done ahead of grant approval and could prove useful if you are uncertain about your energy saving options or what to get done first.

To qualify for a grant you must:

  • Be the owner of a dwelling built before 2006
  • Use a contractor from SEAI’s registered list
  • Have a BER carried out after the works are done
  • Use a BER assessor from SEAI’s National Register
  • Apply for a minimum amount of €500 with your first application. You can apply for a number of grants under the scheme to reach the €500 minimum application amount but a BER grant cannot form part of this amount.

You may not get a grant if:

  • Your first grant application is for less than €500
  • You are replacing your existing boiler with a typical efficiency boiler of less than 90% efficiency
  • You replace your boiler but do not replace the heating controls
  • The work is part of any payment you received under the HES pilot scheme - see below.

Planning Permission

You should check with your local authority whether you require planning permission for the work you want to carry out. In general, you will not require planning permission for the particular measures which are grant aided under this scheme except in the case of external wall insulation.

You may require planning permission for external wall insulation. The need for planning permission will depend on a number of things, for example, whether it will affect the external appearance of the building or whether the building is a protected structure. Contact your local authority to find out whether or not you need planning permission for your external wall insulation.



Grants are paid after the work is completed and you have paid your contractor.

If the cost of the work (including VAT) is less than the maximum grant amount, you will get a grant for the actual cost of the work.

Measure Grant
Roof insulation €250
Cavity wall insulation €400
Internal wall dry-Lining €2,500
External wall insulation €4,000
High efficiency (more than 90% efficiency) gas or oil fired boiler with heating controls upgrade €700
Heating controls upgrade €500
A BER assessment after works are done €100

How to Apply

To apply, download and fill in a Home Energy Saving Scheme application form (pdf) SEAI has produced a guide to help you fill in the application form (pdf).


You can also apply online for the Home Energy Saving Scheme.